Looking for Task management system for project management of multiple projects? Here you can download task breakdown structure template in excel format.
Download: WBS Project Management Template
What is the Task Breakdown Structure Template?
Breaking the whole project into small manageable tasks is called work breakdown structure. This is an important pillar of a project and can turn the project plan into an approachable situation. Just like work in progress template, this template work exactly.
It collectively involves the main things of the project like; scope, budget and timeline of the project. Work break structure is made strictly in accordance with the timeline and the cost of the project.
- Excel File (XLSX) 1 MB Plus
- Multiple designs and format options in this template
- Multiple formats of WBS are available in PDF, WORD and PPT version with Google sheet
- Custom design for request only
This decomposition of the main goal into smaller tasks will ultimately lead to the main deliverables of the project. Bigger projects require work breakdown structure for smooth execution of the plan. There are a variety of templates available for task breakdown structure. You can easily break down your tasks into levels and stages. Add the description of each task with the names of the task managers, starting and ending dates. Also, you can add extra notes with each task.
Related Article: Document Tracker Excel Template
There are different formats of writing task breakdown structure. One such example is attached.
Use Of WBS Template in Project Management
Work breakdown structure can be used for multiple things; the main function remains the same. It helps the planning team to organize activities according to the scope of the project. It is an important tool for the scheduling with monitoring of all activities of the project. The different ways to use work breakdown template in project management is as follows;
This level covers the deliverables, milestones, duration, resources and risks of the project. It is the lowest part of the tree in the WBS.
As soon as the scope and plan is approved then comes the planning and managing of the project’s tasks. It is the middle section of the tree which is about the planning of all the tasks keeping the timeline and budget in view.
This is an important and the primary phase of the tree of WBS. It is how the company is going to apply the resources and manage the tasks. It is an important element of work breakdown structure.
How to make a Task Breakdown Structure?
It is not an individual job to create a task breakdown structure, it requires team effort. Multiple inputs, brainstorming and planning leads to a comprehensive work breakdown structure. The brainstorming phases help to identify the deliverable and sub deliverable of the project. You can follow these steps to efficiently create your own WBS.
- The first step is to collect all the official documents of the project. You will get to know in depth after the analysis of these documents. These documents will give the information regarding project scope, plan and deliverable of the project.
- Next is to identify the project’s team. You need to have a strong candidate to have the better outcomes of the project. Also, identify the stakeholders working on the project.
- Define the key deliverable according to the scope and the project management plan.
- As soon as you are clear about the key deliverable, break down these deliverable into sub deliverable. This decomposition will help you to grasp things in a better way. Go on with the decomposition until you get the simplest work plan. Assign each sub task to an individual and make sure there is no overlapping.
- It is very important to have a Work Breakdown Dictionary. It contains descriptions of the work-related elements. As the lowest level in the work breakdown structure is called work packages. Above work packages are planning packages and the uppermost is control accounts. They carry enough details to pass the information to the operational team.
- Now further decompose the activities in these 3 levels and set up a Gantt chart for proper scheduling and tracking of the project’s progress. The main idea is to divide the tasks of the project and assign them to individual team members. Don’t overlook the timeline of the project.
- Follow the created Work Breakdown Structure created through Gantt chart.
Key Benefits of Task Management Template in Excel.
Each project management tool has benefits and makes a difference in the project management. The key benefits of the task breakdown structure and mentioned below;
- Organize the work into simpler tasks
- It helps to set up a project schedule with minimum effort
- It also helps to identify the possible risks
- Gives you a visual presentation of the work plan
- Highlight’s milestones and goals of the project
- Gives the estimated expenditure of the all the tasks individually
- Assign team member roles and responsibilities
- Allocate resources
- Brings the team together for planning
- Engage all team members as a result this collaborative effort turns out an important tool for better communication
Examples of Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) Templates:
Work breakdown structure is further categorise into different types which are mention here;
Risk WBS Template:
Risk management is an integral part of project management. And risk WBS aims to manage the risks effectively. It starts with the identification of the risks that leads to risk assessment and management. Templates are available to reduce your workload.
Related Article: Project Portfolio Dashboard
Task Breakdown Template
Project breakdown brings the project into small easily achievable small sub tasks. Task breakdown overall improves the efficiency of team.
Product Breakdown Structure Template
Different products require different breakdown structures depending on their complexity. Keep this structure simple and to the point. Here is the product (computer) breakdown.
Breakdown structure for motorbike.
Cost Breakdown Structure Template
Cost breakdown structure is interrelated with the work breakdown structure. The tasks are further broken down into sub-tasks and expense is calculated according to these sub tasks. It helps to get a better insight of the financial matters of the project.
For more information about task breakdown structure template excel, you can direct COMMENT US or Direct EMAIL EXCEL124.NET